Have you always wanted to run the Brussels 20k or have you already participated? Would your motivation be even higher if you were running for Giraffe?
Alternatively, if you do not wish to run but you know somebody who does, would you like to create an additional incentive and added value by organising a charity fundraising around the runner?
For the donations, you open your own fundraising account (we will help you with that) and invite your social network to contribute. For inspiration, please take a look at some of the Just Giving fundraising accounts for the Brussels 20 km in 2019.
As soon as you or your runner is registered and the fundraising account set up, you inform your network, sending reminders now and again. It only costs €35 per month to feed, clothe and send a child to primary school in Kenya.
A few practical details already (there are more to come close to the run):
· Giraffe registers each runner with the organisers of the Brussels 20 KM upon receipt of the starting fee from the runner.
· Giraffe runners receive a special top so that they can be distinguished from other runners.
· They meet up in Mérode in the morning of the run at a house of a Giraffe supporter, where they can leave their belongings.
· They all meet up again after the run for photos and for the return of their belongings.
Interested? The sooner you let us know, the better we can plan and prepare.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us:
The Giraffe Team
Beate Raabe – von Witzleben
Mail: email@example.com - Tel. +32 495 260673
THE SITUATION IN KENYA
On 22nd March, Kenya joined the list of countries taking drastic measures to prevent the transmission of the COVID-19. Schools, restaurants, markets and small businesses that sustain life in the slums were forced to close, imposing extra challenges on an already impoverished community with no access to social security, unemployment benefits and free health care. These challenges include:
· Closure of small food stalls, a major source of income for the parents of our children
· Loss of casual work opportunities
· Only major supermarkets are open, which are much more expensive than stalls in the slum
· Huge increases in fuel costs
Now, some classes like the top class in primary schools and the top of secondary are being asked to return, but most classes are still closed with no indication of when they might re-open. This continued closure of most school classes means that fee-paying parents whose children remain at home stopped paying fees to Giraffe schools, leaving them reliant on our support.
WHAT THE GIRAFFE PROJECT HAS DONE:
Our aim was to ensure that our students could keep learning despite the constraints imposed by the COVID-19 outbreak. Along with our partners in Kenya, The Giraffe Project Children’s Charity established two priorities:
1. Assist our two partner primary schools, Green Pastures and Tumaini, and our partner secondary school, GEC, to retain their staff: Payment of a portion of the teachers’ salaries to ensure staff are supported and ready to resume teaching as soon as the schools reopen.
2. Provide the neediest of our sponsored children with food relief in the absence of school meals: many families have been identified whose children’s only proper meal of the day is their school lunch. These families needed special help in the form of weekly basic food packages.
In these uncertain times, we are so grateful for the wonderful support we have received to help vulnerable children when they need it most.
We sell Kenyan crafts at school fairs and in company lobbies to raise money for the project.
The range includes amazing carvings and soapstone utensils, practical pieces like African olive wood salad-servers, small items that a child might like to have (like these animals here) and more!
If you'd like to be involved in helping run one of our sales or running one of your own, at work for instance, we can support you with everything you need.
...and you want to hold the customary celebratory dinner party.
One thing you may like to do is to ask your guests not to bring wine or flowers, but to give the equivalent as a donation.
Ever popular - lots of fun - and friendly pubs are often happy to help. They get plenty of custom too!
Winning team gets a token gift - and bragging rights. The balance after costs can be put to very good use by Giraffe!
If you've been involved in these before, you'll know that they are surprisingly good fundraisers.
Try work or your local church or club - you may be very pleasantly surprised. Do rope in the kids, the neighbours and anyone else you can!
If you already enjoy these activities, why not get people to sponsor you for doing what you love?
If sport isn't your thing there's always spelling (or the pub quiz!)
If you need information about the Giraffe Children's Charity, about children needing sponsors, brochures, factsheets, even invitations - let us know - (with a bit of notice, please!)
Of course we're going to support you!